We praise God for his work in us since 1843.
The Church of the Ascension began its journey on November 28, 1843, when a small group of concerned local Episcopalians met for the purpose of organizing a congregation in Westminster, which at the time was a small village with a population of approximately 500. In May 1844, the Diocesan Convention, held in Baltimore, voted to grant the formal organization of the “Parish of Ascension.” Fundraising began and in August 1844 ground was broken on our Stone Church. In May 1846, on Ascension Day, Church of the Ascension was consecrated.
Stone Church "Then"
This original building, now affectionately referred to as the Stone Church, exemplifies the Neo-Gothic architectural style advocated by the Ecclesiological Society in the 19th century. The Stone Church has been modified only slightly in the past 170-plus years, and is recognized as an historic property by the Maryland Historical Trust.
Church of the Ascension's Outreach Committee supports many ministries in the community of Westminster and around the world.
Contact: Jennifer Beeker or Melissa Leahy
The Shepherd's Staff
The Shepherd’s Staff exists to reach out to those in crisis, to aid those in need, to support those in trouble, to seek out and encourage pathways to self-sufficiency, and to be a witness for Christ in our community.”
New Life for Girls
New Life For Girls is a Christian residential program that supports women, ages 18 to 45, as they recover from drug or alcohol addiction. Christian classes and counseling are part of the rehabilitation process. Our Outreach Committee provides Christmas food and gifts, as well as cleaning supplies. One of our Eagle Scouts built the playground on their property, and a parishioner created an Employment Assistance Program as a master’s degree project.
Carroll County Food Sunday
“For the sake of human decency, feeding the poor and the hungry people of Carroll County must be a concern for all of us who are not hungry”.